2022 Income Tax Budget Highlights
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced that RBI will introduce a digital rupee during her budget speech for this fiscal year 2022. He also announced 30 per cent tax on transfer of virtual assets. The FM also announced that individuals will now be able to file an updated income tax return within two years of the applicable assessment year. No change has been announced in income tax tables and rates.
- World Cancer Day is observed on 4 February to raise awareness about cancer and reduce disease and death caused by the disease. The theme of 2022 for the day is “Close the Care Gap”. The theme aims to raise awareness of inequalities in cancer care.
India announces diplomatic boycott of 2022 Winter Olympics
- India has announced a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics after China chose a Galwan soldier to be the Olympic torchbearer. Indian envoys did not attend the opening ceremony of the 2022 Winter Olympics, however, Indian athletes will take part in the event.
UP’s best state cadre in 2022 Republic Day parade
- The Uttar Pradesh State box was adjudged as the best box in the state, while the Maharashtra box was chosen as the best in the popular choice category. The UP chart showed the glorious history of Kashi Vishwanath Dham, while the Maharashtra chart showed the five components of the state, which include the state bird, state animal, state tree and state flower.
Queen Elizabeth II will become the first British ruler to rule for 70 years
- Queen Elizabeth II, the world’s longest-reigning monarch, will be the first British monarch to rule for 70 years on February 6, 2022. She was born Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor and was not the direct heir to the throne, but became the next. The heiress left the throne to marry an American divorcee after his uncle, King Edward VIII. She was crowned Queen of England in 1952 after the death of her father, King George VI.
ISRO aims to launch Chandrayaan 3 in August 2022
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) aims to launch Chandrayaan 3 mission in August 2022. Similar to the Chandrayaan 2 mission, the mission will consist of a modified lander and rover. It will not include an orbiter and will use the Chandrayaan 2 orbiter to communicate with Earth.
India nominates Hoysala temples as World Heritage Sites
- India has nominated the Hoysala temples of Karnataka to the list of World Heritage Sites for 2022-23. According to Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy, these temples represent one of the highest points of human creative genius and are a testimony to the rich historical and cultural heritage of our country.
PR Sreejesh becomes world sports athlete
- Indian men’s hockey goalkeeper PR Sreejesh has been named 2021 World Games Athlete of the Year. He has become the second Indian after Indian women’s hockey captain Rani Rampal to win the World Games athlete title. PR Sreejesh played a key role in India’s bronze medal in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Indian Olympic Champion Neeraj Chopra nominated for Laureus World Breakthrough
- Indian Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra has been nominated for the 2022 Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year Award. He has been nominated for the award along with six others including Daniil Medvedev, Pedri, Emma Radukanu, Ariane Titmus and Yulimar Rojas. He is the third Indian after Vinesh Phogat and Sachin Tendulkar to be nominated for this award.
India’s GDP growth estimated at 8-8.5 percent in FY23
- The Economic Survey for 2021-22 has projected India’s GDP growth to be 8 to 8.5 percent in the fiscal year 2022-23. Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched the Survey 2022 survey in the Lok Sabha. The survey has also projected GDP growth at 9.2 percent for the current financial year 2021-22.