• PM Modi spoke to Russian President Vladimir Putin on the phone on Ukraine conflict.
• The telephonic conversation between the two leaders pertains to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, particularly in Kharkiv where many Indian students are stranded.
• According to a PMO statement, the two leaders discussed the safe evacuation of Indian citizens from the conflict zone.
• This was the second telephone conversation between PM Modi and Putin. The Prime Minister last spoke to the Russian President on February 25, 2022, where he called for an immediate end to the violence in Ukraine.
European Union grants SWIFT to 7 Russian banks. banned from
• The European Union has banned 7 Russian banks from the Society for World Wide Interbank Financial Communication (SWIFT) global system that minimizes cross-border payments.
• However, SWIFT spares two financial institutions in Russia because they are the key to transactions for EU energy imports.
• The waiver of the two banks by the European Union underscores the bloc’s dependence on Russian energy and the role of Russia’s two financial institutions in managing payments for that business.
• The 7 banks targeted by the latest EU sanctions against Russia are Novicombank, Bank Otkriti, Rossia Bank, Promsvazbank, Sovcombank, VTB and VEB.
Election Commission of India orders re-polling at 12 polling stations in Manipur
• The Election Commission of India has ordered re-polling at 12 polling stations in 5 constituencies in Manipur where voting for the Assembly elections was held on February 28, 2022.
• The 12 polling stations where re-polling will be held in Manipur belong to 5 assembly constituencies- Thanlon, Saitu, Khundrakapam, Singhat and Henglap.
• Re-polling in Manipur will be held on March 5, 2022 from 7 am to 4 pm. The proposal for re-polling was recommended on the facts and information received and reported from the concerned Returning Officers.
• One of the main reasons for considering re-polling was related to post-poll damage to EVMs.
PM Modi interacts with students who returned from Ukraine
• PM Modi interacts with students in Varanasi who had returned to India from Ukraine.
• Indian students shared their experiences with him and they were from Varanasi as well as other parts of Uttar Pradesh.
• A total of 17,000 Indians have left Ukraine and flights under Operation Ganga have also been increased to facilitate the evacuation of the remaining students in the war-torn country.
Russia‘s Roman Abramovich to sell Chelsea, net proceeds to move to Ukraine
• Russian businessman Roman Abramovich has decided to sell Chelsea. This news was shared with the Chelsea Twitter handle.
• According to Abramovich, he will not ask to repay the £1.5bn in loans owed to the club over the course of 19 years, injecting cash to elevate the team to one of the most successful teams in Europe.
• He said the sale of Chelsea Football Club would not happen fast, but would follow due process.
• Abramovich instructed his team to set up a charitable foundation where all net proceeds from the sale would be donated. The foundation will be for the benefit of all the victims of the war in Ukraine.