England ODI Captain 2022 – Jos Buttler has been appointed captain of England’s new ODI and T20I squad. The wicketkeeper-batsman replaced Eoin Morgan, who retired from international cricket on June 28, 2022. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced June 30, 2022.
The ECB’s acting chairman Martin Darlow and acting chief executive officer Claire Connor approved the appointment on June 29, 2022, following a recommendation from England’s men’s cricket managing director Robb. Jos Buttler will take over immediately and captain England in the upcoming T20 and ODI series against India and South Africa.
Jos Buttler had been serving as England’s ODI and T20 team vice-captain since 2015. The 31-year-old captained England 14 times, including in the Netherlands last week when Morgan was ruled out with a groin injury.
“It is a great honour to take over from Eoin, and the place he has left in cue-ball cricket in England is exciting, and I look forward to the challenges ahead,” said Jos Butler after his appointment. He continued: “I would like to express my sincere thanks and gratitude for Eoin Morgan’s outstanding leadership over the last seven years. It has been the most memorable period for all. He has been an inspiring leader, and it has been wonderful to play under him.” There are. Him. There’s so much I’ve learned from him that I’ll be playing this role.”
the perfect man to fill those shoes pic.twitter.com/Mrio5ts7cs
— england cricket (@englandcricket)
30 June 2022
Captain Leader Legend. Thanks for everything boss ️ pic.twitter.com/U5bMBPbgZI
— Jos Butler (@josbuttler)
June 28, 2022
New England ODI and T20 Captain Jos Buttler-7 Lesser Known Facts
1. Jos Buttler is considered one of the best cue ball hitters in the world.
2. He made his T20 debut in 2011, ODI debut in 2012 and Test debut in 2014.
3. He was essential to the 2019 Cricket World Cup-winning England cricket team.
4. He has been the vice-captain of England’s ODI and T20I teams since 2015.
5. He is England’s second-leading run-scorer in T20Is after Eoin Morgan.
6. He is among only four England players to score a T20I century.
7. He, along with David Malan, holds the world record for most second wicket-taker in T20Is by scoring an unbeaten 167 against South Africa during the 2020 tour of England.
8. He also holds the England ODI record for most dismissals (213) as a wicket-keeper and the England T20I record for most dismissals (47).
9. Before IPL Mega Auction 2022, Rajasthan Royals kept it for Rs 10 crore.